Life after Depo Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHAT IS UP WITH THE BREAST PAIN!!!???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Life after Depo Forum Index -> Share Q & A with Other Women
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krista

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: WHAT IS UP WITH THE BREAST PAIN!!!??? Reply with quote

I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there having or has had this particular problem. My last shot was on 07/25/02, "running out" on 10/17/02. Since then, i've had horribly tender breasts, almost constantly with only about a collective two weeks where i havent had it. They are hard, swollen, painful, like a burning sensation almost and its terrible. The best thing i can compare it to was when i had decided to stop pumping milk after my pregnancy, and they filled up and dried out, it almost feels like that. While my husband is having fun, as they are much bigger now, this is definitely not much fun at all for me. While sometimes, breasts can get tender and swell a bit in the early stages of pregnancy, i am almost completely sure that is not what this is, as my basal temps don't match with a pregnancy, i've yet to see anything that resembles an ovulation, and the only thing that even resembled a period was a few days of light brown spotting about 35 days ago, and a few days of brown spotting with one day of bright red clots about 27 days before that, approximately two weeks after my shot had "run out". So i'm just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this, how to help it not be so bad, when theirs went away, whatever info i can get, i'll be happy with, believe me!
kharen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: re: WHAT IS UP WITH THE BREAST PAIN!!!??? Reply with quote

Hi, Krista!
I haven't experience exactly what you are experiencing, but my breasts (specifically nipples) have been ridiculously sore on and off over the past few months. My last Depo shot was in April (so it remained active in my system until July-ish). In October, I started brown spotting; by December, I had something more like a period (with cramps! yeah!). I'm observing some sort of a cycle, but I'll be interested to see if my period actually comes back next month.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to share that I'm in a similar predicament--not quite sure if my period has truly come back ... not quite sure why my boobs hurt so much! I'm assuming my body is still trying to balance itself out.

Let me know if you hear any other information about the boob situation.

Best of luck to you!
Kharen
Krista

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Kharen! thanks for responding! I did a little looking up yesterday about this whole boob situation and got a lot of medical mumbo jumbo about elevated prolactin and estrogen and decreased progesterone...so i guess it does have to do with detoxing from the shot. I also read that vitamins E and B6 may be of some help. I seemed to have a hint of a bleed this morning, so we'll see what comes of that, maybe they will stop hurting for a little while if i get a period of some sort. As i sit here and poke myself, lol, they're not as hard and painful as yesterday, but still tender, so i guess thats a little progress. I guess if this keeps up, i may start doing a little research into the natural progesterone cream i keep hearing about and maybe see if that will help me out a bit with this. Good luck with your own boobs! HA!
trina709

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Breast pain Reply with quote

I also had the horrible breast pain. It started about 4-5 months after my last depo shot. It even hurt when my three year old hugged me. And it feels exactly like milk drying up after breast feeding. They also felt very lumpy. I thought something was really wrong, but my doctor assured me it was my body ridding itself of the depo and getting back to normal. It is now almost a year since my last depo and my breasts are no longer sore(only a little right before AF, but I had this before I started birth control). So you will probably have to endure it like I did for a few months. I read a few posts on evening primrose oil for it, but I never tried it. I thought it would make you feel a little better to know that someone else went through the exact same thing.
Krista

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! thanks for the post, it is definitely good to know that there are people out there having this horrible issue also! I tried the evening primrose, in a combo supplement, but it made me break out, so i think that is out for now. I started to bleed today(i dont want to call it a period cuz i know its not a real cycle), and they seem less painful, but still tender. I've had to give up on my underwire bras as i cant tolerate them, and have switched to stretchy camisole things, just to pin my boobs against my chest, and that seems to help also. I'm hoping that when i get more regulated also, that this constant pain will go away, and i'll just get it like i use to right before my period! Godo luck to all!
robins

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: breast pain Reply with quote

finally!!! i am not crazy as my doctor tends to make me feel. there are women out there feeling the same thing i feel. the breast tenderness started after i stopped my shots. it hurts to not wear a bra, it hurts to wear a bra. how long does this last?
Krista

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i think i lied about the bra situation, but not much! The camisoles are absolutely wonderful, and normally i cant wear the underwire bras. The only underwire ones i can tolerate for a while are some i ordered from a landsend catelog and are very comfortable...for almost the whole day, believe me they come off awful quick when i get home. Just wanted to throw that in, in case anyone was looking for comfy ones, without spending a fortune, about $19 or so. But i can at least work and not keep adjusting myself all day. I'm hoping that this doesnt last all that long, but it does appear that we're in for at least a good amount of time with all this fun. I cant wait for the day when i can run up my stairs and not hold my boobs to keep them from bouncing and hurting!
trina709

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Breast pain Reply with quote

Hi, luckily I only had to endure the breast pain for about 3-4 months(although it seemed like forever). I, too had to stop wearing the underwire bras I had been wearing for so long. It felt much better to wear a sports bra. It supports better and keeps them from bouncing painfully. Hope this helps!
mrspotsie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have suffered from breat pain since going off Depo in Jan of 02. It seems to go in two week cycles. The two weeks before my period are rough and then the two weeks following are normal. I found that taking a maternity vitamin made a difference so it must be some sort of deficiency with your body detoxing. Maybe try them.
lesley cheers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had first jag in mid July 2002 was due my next one oct 2002.I didnt get second one because I knew already was putting on alot of weight.I have now put on a stone in weight,have had depression,headaches going to the toilet more often and now my breasts are on fire.the only time they have been like this was when i was expecting.Also not had period for five months.Having read most of this site I started to use the wild yam cream and take angus cactus tablets.After three days dont expect to much but will persivere.I wondered does anyone know of a time scale for this drug leaving your system?And does it ever feel like you get back to normal? I am just so glad I only had one jag.I sympathise with everyone so much and cant help feeling a bit anoyed about the lack of knowledge before hand.Perhaps to much trust in proffesionals.Never again!!! thanks for reading and would appreciate any replies. lesley l
Sara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad to hear that others are experiencing the same things as I am. On a positive note, I experienced breast tenderness...or more like all out pain...for almost a year straight. There was rarely a day that went by that I was not having to hold onto my breasts when walking around the house. Underwire bras...you've got to be kidding me!!! I went to the doctor twice and they had NO answer or explanation. They just told me to stop drinking caffeine. Well, did that and took Vitamin E pills twice a day for months. It only got worse. My last Depo Shot was suppose to be in June of 2002. I am now 8 1/2 months officially off Depo. I finally stopped having breast tenderness about four months ago. I have not had it since. So it does go away eventually. It was a hard year though!
I used to think Depo was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I didn't get a period in three and a half years, my migraines were almost non existent, and I experienced minimal weight gain over the course of three years. Since June of 2002, I started getting my period every other month. Now, I haven't had one since the end of October of 2002. I get two to three migraines a month, and my emotions are touch and go from one day to the next. I get horrible cramping every month with no sign of bleeding...not even spotting. I have taken two pregnancy tests cause I just don't ever know.
Long and short of it...I'm so glad there are others out there that have questions. I never knew so many women on or coming off the Depo experienced the extreme breast tenderness that I did. Thank you, and know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
howlettroad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krista, sorry to respond so late. I too had horrific breast pain but not as long as yours. Vitamin E helped tremendously. Get the kind with Selenium added, also do not get synthetic.
Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Life after Depo Forum Index -> Share Q & A with Other Women All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: